In 2020, there are many things I wish to learn and accomplish by the end of the year. I would like to develop new skills and expand my comfort zone, but as I welcome a new hobby, a new mindset, and new habits, I must stop certain habits that do more harm than good to me every day. It is said that it takes 21 days to start a new habit and end a bad one. I have decided that every month I would try to change something that I do not like that I do just because I am used to choosing. If I am going to be spiritually aware and conscious of my whole being and actions, I must end old habits that were developed years ago. Switching my habits and choosing a more positive state of being will benefit my life. I have made a list of 12 bad habits I wish to stop in 2020, one for every month in the year.
- Drinking soda - For a while, in 2017 I was completely off soda, I stopped drinking it and for some reason I seemed to pick up the habit of having a soda for lunch or dinner, turning into both times... I would like to ban soda from my body. I do not like the feeling of all the gasses around my chest causing me to burp so loud I could say the full alphabet.
- Speaking negatively about myself or others - Words can hurt and regardless of someone hearing you speak about them or not, words still hurt and sadly I have a bad habit as using my words as my weapon. Speaking ill of others and speaking ill about myself. In the new year, I am no longer interested in "tea" and to judge and analyze someone else's life when I am trying hard to figure out my own.
- Stop cursing - There are times where I have the vocabulary of a truck driver. Cursing has become a normal part of my vocabulary where I can say the word "Bitch" and no think anything wrong with it but hearing it from a different perspective it doesn't sound very lovely. I would like to lower the number of curse words said on a regular basis.
- Less screen time - I would like to stop looking at a computer screen all day and night. although my job is mainly online I would like to stop using my computer and cell phones 2 hours before bed and not touch my phone for the first 2 hours after waking up each morning. 4 hours in between the day to do things that do not include looking at a computer or cellphone screen
- Stop self-doubting myself - One thing that always stops me from doing something new and exciting is myself. Telling myself I will fail before even trying. I would like to begin encouraging myself at times when I seem to only want to give up.
- Speaking out of turn - I have a very nasty habit of not letting someone finish their sentence. I dont know when this started for me but it has been something that personally bothers me and most likely annoy others. I would like to stop speaking over someone and wait for my turn to express my opinion and keeping some to myself when the words would be unnecessary for conversation.
- Cracking my joints - I have no idea when this began but I can crack almost all my joints in my body and find it pleasurable... I would love to end this habit before I get arthritis all over my body because I consistently cracked all my joints. It will mostly be the hardest habit of all to end but I am willing to give it a try.
- Compulsive shopping - Many times I purchase things with the "I'll find a use for it later" and never do. I want to stop purchasing things for no reason and that have no real use for my current situation.
- Over-snacking - My whole life I have always had a stash of treats under my bed or were taken to bed before laying down and relaxing. I would like to stop this habit that causes tons of cavities to many midnight snackers.
- Complete a project before starting a new one - I am always coming out with new ideas I get so excited and it's all I see for days, weeks, months and years I pushed aside a project to begin a new vision at the very moment.
- Stop being a couch potato - I love sitting down and writing on my laptop all day, but it's not healthy. I want to begin getting off the couch and begin doing productive work. Getting out of bed and into the action.
- Stop procrastinating - I allow everything to get done the last minute and rush to get the project done. Rushing on a project and stressing out wondering if it's going to be completed on time can be something I can learn to prevent.
Now that you know my 12 bad habits I want to stop doing this year. I will be adopting one new habit every month while continuing to make the conscious decision to help and do better as a person. Leave a comment telling me something you will like to stop doing this year and what you want to accomplish. Is there anything we may have in common?